Tuesday, December 28, 2010
I Resolve To ...
It is getting to be that time of year. Time to make out my New Year's Resolutions for 2011. Twenty - eleven! Can you believe that??? Where did 2010 go? Definitely I blinked and the year was gone. I guess it really is true that the older you get, the faster time flies.
While I do love list-making, I am not exactly always on board with New Year's Resolutions. For one thing, everyone always makes the same ones--mainly to lose weight. And then everyone goes all crazy with dieting and exercise for about four days and then they fail. Some years I don't make resolutions and some years I just like to make predictions.
This year I find myself in a more goal setting frame of mind, so here goes:
1. Lose 5 pounds. I don't even really NEED to lose 5 pounds, but it seems like it would be something good to do for myself. Some of you might not know this, but last year over a period of about 6 months I lost a few pounds. And it was not like I was plus-sized before or shopping at Lane Bryant (not that there is anything wrong with that!) but I was definitely on the train to Chubby Town so I did it the old-fashioned way. I worked out every single day, no matter what, and I kept a food journal, trying to keep myself around 1200 calories per day. Of course, some days I went over and that was okay. Now I wear a size 4 to size 6 depending on where I shop and I am happy. I don't need to be a size zero or super skinny as long as I am toned and at a healthy weight. But I tend to gain about 2 or 3 pounds of water weight whenever I have PMS so I decided if I lose 5 more pounds I will be just slightly better off and I can probably do that by cutting out a glass of wine here and there, and a cookie or two. And I continue to be very diligent about exercise. That is key.
2. Pay off 4 credit cards. If you follow me on The Girl in Kate Spade Mittens that goal sounds very familiar. In fact, it was my goal from last year. Guess what--I still need to do it. I have two small balances on two of my department store cards (Bloomingdale's and Von Maur) and I still need to pay off Macy's and my smallest Visa balance. I can do it!
3. Pay down $6,000 in credit card debt. By May of last year, I was down $3,000 in credit card debt. Now I am only down $855. I backslid, it is true. Redoubling my efforts to try to live on a more cash basis.
4. Contribute one percent more to my 401k plan at work. I want to do this every year. I won't be young forever!
5. Save $2,000. I have 3 separate personal savings accounts - a Smarty Pig, an ING and a US Bank S.T.A.R.T. My goals for them are pretty unstructured, but I like one of them to be for short-term, one for long-term and one for emergencies.
6, Be happy and grateful and laugh and smile and be silly at every chance.
7. Blog more and comment more.
What are your resolutions?
P.S. I almost forgot to list the most important one. Cut out the clutter! Keep every closet, drawer and cupboard NEAT. Throw away, donate and shred. Edit. Yes, the show "Hoarders" on TLC freaks me out.