Friday, December 17, 2010

Molly Marx!


I saw this book at Target in November and made a mental note of the title for future reference. (Okay, I had Eric take my picture holding the book so I would remember!). So when I was at Barnes & Noble a few weeks later, I bought it with a gift card.

It was one of those books that I loved so much that I HAVE to read the other books by the same writer, Sally Koslow. I am still trying to be good with my money so I always turn to my Public Library first and fortunately they carried both of her other books. On the other hand, I also have a policy of BUYING the books of my favorite authors because I like to support them.

But the next best thing is blogging about a fun new writer and that is what I am doing.

The Late Lamented Molly Marx is a humorous, yet touching look at life in the hereafter--or rather Molly observes life going on without her as she visits from the "Duration" and she also relives some of the moments in her life and marriage, time spent with her daughter, sister, parents, best friend and lover. Shortly before she died, she had been having an extra-marital affair and was going to put an end to it and try to focus all of her energies on her marriage. But, well, something happened along the way.

I loved this book, the writer's breezy style, attention to detail, and character development. It really makes one stop and think about how short life is, about the choices we make, and how important love is.

Anyhow that was my take on the book. It goes under the category of one of my favorite books of 2010.

From Amazon:

"The circumstances of Molly Marx’s death may be suspicious, but she hasn’t lost her joie de vivre. Newly arrived in the hereafter, aka the Duration, Molly, thirty-five years old, is delighted to discover that she can still keep tabs on those she left behind: Annabel, her beloved four-year-old daughter; Lucy, her combustible twin sister; Kitty, her piece-of-work mother-in-law; Brie, her beautiful and steadfast best friend; and, of course, her husband, Barry, a plastic surgeon with more than a professional interest in many of his female patients. As a bonus, Molly quickly realizes that the afterlife comes with a finely tuned BS detector.

Exploring the bonds of fidelity, family, and friendship, and narrated by a memorable and endearing character, The Late, Lamented Molly Marx is a hilarious, deeply moving, and thought-provoking novel that is part mystery, part love story, and all heart."


Recommended reading!!

P.S. Her other 2 books that I am picking up from the Library this week are "Little Pink Slips" and "With Friends Like These".

2 comments:

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I've noticed these at Target too! I just put them on hold at the library! I've been super bad about buying books too. But you're right, if you can it's nice to support the author.

Laura said...

will have to look into this!