Sunday, February 20, 2011

Book Nook




I read the above a few weeks ago and have been wanting to tell you all about it. I always love memoirs and so I was searching for diaries on Amazon and I stumbled across this book from the mid-90s. It is basically told in excerpts of a diary that spans several years as Rosemary struggles with her weight.

From Goodreads:

For anyone who has ever wrestled with a weight problem and for the millions of avid readers of diet books, here is the poignant story of one woman's daily struggle to control her weight. This edition includes an updated section in which the author explains how she finally achieved her weight-loss.

Rosemary was a teenage beauty queen who married young (18 years old!), and gained weight with each pregnancy; she had 6 children. She was obsessed with chocolate in particular and had 6 kinds of favorite candy bars that she would hoard and eat in private. Of course, I have never weighed 300 pounds but I found the book very relatable in many ways as I think most women would.

The book reads like a very interesting diary that you want to keep turning the pages of. You watch as Rosemary starts a new diet, begins to lose weight and then falls off the wagon. She would repeat the cycle over and over and over for many years. She is a wonderful writer. I recommend this book!



Read more here and here.

No comments: